Sunday, February 17, 2008

30 Years Ago Today

VLCD 34
Yesterday 173.2
Today 172.3
Loss of <1.0>
Total lost 23.6

Ok, when I sat down to blog, the title that I have posted wasn't the title that I was going to use. But seeing the date, February 17, 2008 reminded me about how profoundly my life changed that day. You see, that is the day, 30 years ago, that I arrived in Santiago, Chile as a very excited, yet petrified, high school foreign exchange student, about to imbark upon a year long adventure.

I can't help but draw some parallels between that life changing experience, and this protocol. This protocol is absolutely life changing! And it is an adventure! If you don't believe me, just ask Biz! ( Every pun intended! :)) If someone would have told me all the wonderful things that were going to come of my year in Chile, I don't think that I would have, or could have, believed them! I'm kind of feeling the same way about this protocol.....only I am still in a bit of a state of disbelief!

I have spent the morning researching diet and sports nutrition, training, etc. Half of me wants to forgo triathlon training, and my love of cycling, in order to continue this protocol, until I reach my ideal weight. ( Whatever that may be ) But I think that I have decided not to do that. If what Dr. S hypothosized is correct, and obesity is a disease that can be cured by resetting the hypothalmus, then I should be able to do p3, and move on to p4, without any dramatic effects, even if I do increase my carbs.

I just wouldn't be able to give my training the effort that it deserves, nor would I be happy on p2, so I'm going to wait.

Then after the 4th of July, when the weather here in Texas is miserably hot, and I won't WANT to ride my bike outdoors, I can do another short round.

So I will finish this round, and do the 3 week p3. Then I will focus on my training. I will also experiment with the glycemic load ideas, and measure, and track every morsel of food that I put in my mouth. That's just a good habit no matter what!

Jenn, Oh how you have me wanting chili! Guess that I'm going to have to make some! LOL

Biz, ok you saw my decision, now we have to figure out my diet!

Crystal, I figure if I obsess about doing another round and losing more weight, that I'm kind of missing the point! This protocol is supposed to HEAL me of my food obsessions!

2 comments:

Ed & Jennifer said...

Shelly, I hear you loud and clear! Isn't this an awesome journey? It's something you can't explain to anyone and the only people that really "get it" are those of us that are doing it! It goes so much deeper than weight loss (that's just the reward). Even with this being our R3 I'm still in awe of all of it. And you...you’re a pro at this!

Chile...OMG that had to have been a life changing experience-you're such a go getter!

Good decision on waiting to do P2, there is nothing worse than trying to do P2 when your head isn't in it ya know?!

Can you believe we found the cure?

So the stall is over-oh yeah!

applebottomblues said...

The stall is over... cool beans & with a 1 pounder! Yaaay you!

I think it's wise decision to wait on your next P2. You have to live life and the good thing is, the protocol will be here when you're ready. Isn't it wonderful that we've found this plan? It IS life changing.

How did you get into marathons? I used to run in highschool, but I haven't done it competetively since then. I've been thinking about getting back into it though.