Friday, April 18, 2008

Repetition is Good...Most of the Time!

LIW 166.8
Today 172.2
OVER 5.4

Training number 2 is over! Last night we did a spin class. It was fun! Remember, biking is my absolute FAVORITE! So it really felt good.

I am getting into a routine with my meals that is workiing out well. Breakfast is oatmeal with chopped nuts and dried cranberries, or a waffle with a slice of Jarlsburg cheese (like swiss). or a smoothies with milk and bananas and strawberries.

Lunch when I am at home is some kind of spinach salad with a cup of brown rice thrown on top, a cup of beans of some sort, grilled veggies, and reduced fat feta cheese. I have this really yummy cracked Pepper Vinagrette, and I usually put a tablespoon of that on. Some days, I do mango salsa, no dressing, and black beans, others, chopped tomatoes and kalamata olives, sauteed onions with greek seasoning. I make my rice ahead of time, and keep it stored in the fridge. Same with the grilled veggies.

Dinner is usually a repeat of lunch, just adding in a fish, chicken, or beef portion.

Snacks are fruit smoothies, or hummus. but I have to be careful with the hummus....it is so yummy, that I tend to overdo it!

Now then, I /we tend to eat out 2-3 times per week, either myself with a client for lunch, or our family for dinner. This is where I tend to REPEAT my former bad habits. Working on the eating out part!

Now that we are training, I am for the first time trying to expand my knowledge of WHAT can make my training more effective. Over and over, I am finding the word "repeats", "intervals", "over/unders". It seems that to make your body stronger and faster, repetition, short bursts of extreme, intense effort, and "mixing it up" while you build upon your base seem to be the most effective ways to train.

I don't know about y'all, but I am seeing similarities with how our body responds to exercise, and to how it responds to diet.

Repetition of eating habits, and dieting techniques are what got us to the "fluffy" state to begin with! (Or at least me) We did it one way for so long that it stopped being effective. Layer on no real change in eating habits, and you get the SEE SAW SEE SAW effect.

That is exactly what happens with exercise. If we keep on doing exactly the same thing, it stops being effective.

So I guess where I am going with this, is that within the realm of good eating habits, we also need to "mix it up" on occasion. Maybe that means a raw foods challenge. Or a fruit cleanse. I just think that we must make our bodies guess what we are doing every so often! However, I'm not thinking that a week of fried comfort foods would do the trick!

Everyone have a good day!

And to my commenters:

Biz: I know that I need to get over there, and I will...I promise! You know, I might enjoy doing that! Let me get my routine under me now, and think about it, OK?

Becca: Don't try and woos out with the bad joints story! You are talking to Queen Rotten Knees! I had to chuckle the other day, because our trainer was talking abuot how the trail at Danskin is so hard to run, because it's not paved. Well, for me, that makes it EASIER, because it is so gentle on my kneees. I walk/jog it BTW!

And I don't mind you linking at all! I would consider it a complement!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey -- your menu sounds so yummy!!!! And the working out -- isn't it the best? We are so lucky to have found the exercise we love to do.

Have you heard of the PACE training program by Dr. Sears? It is. in a nutshell. exactly what you are talking about -- I bought the ebook, would be happy to send it to you. It's full of great info. pickleshoeboing@yaoo.com

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BizBuzz said...

Shelly! Excellent post! How to tie it all in together. What a transformation eh? This whole physical, mental body makeover is simply amazing.

I am actually considering doing a 100% raw day on Monday, HA! Wanna join me???

Becca said...

Shelly, I loved your post today. Never notice that correlation before but I believe it's right on! I'm glad to hear your training is going so well. And I'm curious as to how you have overcome the knee problem?
I am afraid I'll do so much damage that I'll end up having to have surgery so maybe I AM being over cautious. Now that I'm not lugging around that extra 40 lbs maybe I should try running again, huh? Possibly just a little right now while I'm on P2 though. BABY STEPS!