Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Phenomenal Woman TRIumphant

LIW 166.8
Today 172.8
OVER 6.0

I hurt all over, but I feel good! We swam last night to start off our training, and this year, we have a new person coaching the swimming part. She is FABULOUS! Out of all the women, ( apprx 40 ) I am in the bottom quarter as to swimming speed. Now then, I am 100%comfortable in the water, just can't propel myself THROUGH the water very fast. This woman told me that I was a good swimmer..what???? And that it didn't matter that I did the breast stroke. She offered to meet with me and give me some additional tips. How kind is that?

Anyway, the title of my post is also our "theme" for this year's Danskin. It's a poem by Maya Angelou, Phenomenal Woman. I think that it befits us too ladies!

Here is the first stanza:

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to a model's size
But when I start telling them,
They think that I am telling lies.
I say
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips
The stride of my step
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally
Phenomenal woman.
That's me.

It has also been set to music by Ruthie Foster. It is so awesome!

So everyone go out today and show the world that you are a Phenomenal Woman!

Comments:

BIz: I got it ;) I will stop being so hard on myself, yet I will be accountable....thanks!

Becca: I don't EVEN want to hear it girl! 53 is NOT too old to do a triathlon! I'm only 6 years behind you, AND the mother of an 8 YO! You do realize that I only do "girly girl" ones don't you?

3 comments:

BizBuzz said...

Girlfriend, I need you to come on over to the forum, how come you haven't been there yet?

You would be so cool to host a exercise corner, you with all your wealth of information!

Becca said...

Hey cool about the swimming coach. You'll be improving your speed in no time (little pun.) And the poem gave me chills. I loved it. I'd love to hear it put to music too. I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere.
And I don't think I'll be doing anything like that mostly because my knees couldn't take it. They periodically give me trouble as is. And I really would like to get back into running 5Ks but the joints disagree! We'll see if anything changes with the next 15 lbs off!

Becca said...

Shelly, I hope you don't mind that I posted a link to your blog on mine so people could come and read this. I loved that you shared it with us and wanted to pass that along...