Sunday, April 20, 2008

Just Do It! When is Repetition a Good Thing?

LIW 166.8
Today 173.8
OVER 7.0

My eating habits left alot to be desired on Friday. Lunch was outstanding, and while it wasn't "bad" it was high fat. a girl friend and I ate at this really nice restaurant here in town. We had asparagus bisque soup, and I had a southwestern salad with barbeque chicken. It has a spicy ranch dressing and a very unique combination of boiled peanuts, and blue cheese. But it was outstanding! So I really shouldn't have done the pizza and beer for dinner! It was a "good" pizza though...fresh mozzerella, and basil.

I also swam on Friday...concentrating on my kick. I have to swim breaststroke, and my kick gets very sloppy, when I'm tired.

Yesterday was a CRAZY day! Danskin group training at 7am. We did our timed mile. Another lady and I were dead last! Our time was 13:20. So see Becca, time is NOT everything! But that is mainly doing a fast walk, with very little running.

I then rushed to concession stand duty for our soccer team, then rushed to take our daughter to her school's 30th anniversary celebration...for 40 minutes, then rushed to her soccer game...then 2 birthday parties. I was in bed by 9:30 last night!

So this morning, I was going to do my blog, then go for a jog./walk. It dawned on me, that, more than likely if I blogged first, the walk/jog would be either cut short, or skipped comepletely. So I bucked up, and went off to the school track and did 4 miles.

So now then, when is repetition a good thing? When you are building new habits. Did you know that it takes doing something AT LEAST 21 times before it becomes a habit? I figure that since I'm a slow learner, that I need to figure in 30 times!

In my mind this applies to making the right choices food wise too. And for me, it applies to being consistent in exercise and intensity of exercise.

Now I need to JUST DO IT!

Responses to comments:

Lili: Yes, I love cycling, and I just need to find more time to do it!

Biz: It is a total transformation, you are correct. I just need to be accountable to myself, and while I need to not beat myself up when I don't make the best choices, I need to not sugar coat it either!

Becca: I ice my knees every evening when I jog. Also, the weight has made a HUGE difference. And look at my times! I am a tortoise! You can make your own ice bags by mixiing 3 parts water to one part rubbing alcohol. I double bag them and keep them in the freezer. They stay nice and slushy!

2 comments:

Becca said...

So what distance was that training run for Danskin? And when you ice your knees? Before running or after? And do you know why that helps? Is it just to help with the pain or will it prevent injury?
I should figure all this out now while the weather is still nice here or I'll never get started during the heat of summer. And I'd rather try it outside than in the gym because it is a totally different feeling I know.
Sorry for all the questions. But THANKS!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.