Thursday, May 8, 2008

Protocol and Exercise Part 2

Sorry for not posting yesterday, but we have ramped up Danskin training and work is a bear!

So I left off with at the point that shows the different forms and places our body stores fuel. As I said, aerobic exercise is steady and moderate, slow and easy. You can easily carry on a conversation while exercising. Once your breathing becomes the least bit labored, you are moving on to anaerobic, and for that, you need carbohydrates.

So, this all makes sense to me, especially when I remember how tired I was walking up a big hill while on this protocol, yet in doing normal day to day activities, I was never once tired. Think about it, on this protocol, we are consuming at best 150-175 calories of carbohydrates per day. Blood glucose stores approximately 80 of those, and is the most accesible. My lifestyle calorie burn is approximately 500 cals per day. My BMR calorie expenditure is approximately 1700. From everything that I have read, even aerobically, you will first burn the glucose. But if you are exercising in an anaerobic state, your body can't be as efficient in converting fat to fuel. That's when you hit the wall.

Let me put this disclaimer in right now. First, this is based upon my VERY BASIC understanding, and, this is a work in progress!

Now then, there are people who are marathoners, etc, that subscribe to a low carb diet philosophy. That is something that I am researching.

More coming soon!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!

4 comments:

BizBuzz said...

This is totally making sense. I love how you are explaining it in a way even I can understand. Looking forward to more!

Becca said...

Yes I'm following it to an extent... But hopefully you will go a little further and tell us what would be the right thing to do when exercising (strenuously) on the protocol. Should we eat extra carbs? And if so, what kind?

I'm waiting anxiously for the "rest of the story"!

Crystal Lee said...

WOOHOO! Hey cutie pie. Thanks for the information. You have really been doing your research. It completely makes sense that your body, obviously, does not convert fat into fuel as quickly as certain types of sugars. :)

How is the training coming?

applebottomblues said...

That really makes sense to me. I really feel different when I workout on P2. I just don't have the energy to do some things and plenty of energy for everyday stuff, so this makes perfect sense to me. Keep it comin girlfriend! This is good stuff!

Hey... what are your numbers at right now?