Friday, May 16, 2008

Busy Busy Busy!

Hi All!

Sorry about the disappearing act...but I swear that the month of May always wears me out! We have so many activities in our family, and all of them are winding down!

Then when you add in my training, it makes everyday jampacked. We are at the high point of training right now. So that means maximum effort, training, etc. But it is going so well! I am having a ball.

On Mother's day we went out and rode the bike course. It was soooo windy! But I am stronger than ever. Gee, I wonder if losing almost 30 lbs. had anything to do with that? One funny part is that while it is much easier going UP the hills, I don't get as much UUUMPF going DOWN the hills ( From the weight) as I used to!!

I am the most pleased though with my swimming. I have a congenital birth defect, and am missing some muscles in both wrists, and one arm. So I swim the breast stroke. The past 2 years, I have finished the 1/2 mile swim feeling like my heart is going to explode out of my chest, and I have been slower than molasses. This year, I am markedly faster! But best of all, I am a relaxed swimmer! So even if I don't finish the swim any faster on race day, I know that I will be better on the bike because I will be able to transition faster and easier!

The runningpart is what it is. I'll save any improvement in running for next year!

Food. I promise that I will continue my exercise and food musings. But I need to get through at least this weekend. all of my daughter's year end functions will finally be over by Sunday.

I will tell you that I was very suprised at the lack of fueling knowledge by women in my group. We had a talk given by a sports Nutritionist, and very few knew even what I knew. And some of these women are very intense about their training!

You all will be happy to know that I am now very consistent at 172-172.5 in my weight. Which is 5-6 lbs over LIW. My measurements are essentially the same. Hips and thighs are a tad less, (about .25) waist is a hair more. (about .5) I think that small increase in waist measurement IS the carbs. I think that you bloat more with carbs. So I do believe that my 5 lbs are now muscle.

I hope all of you are well out there. I promise to make the rounds today or tomorrow!

4 comments:

BizBuzz said...

Thanks for the update! I was worried about you! I am peeled to your blog for updates on the exercise thing, just post when you can. Good for you with the maintaining thing!

Becca said...

Shelly, I'm so glad to hear that you're doing so well and that the training is coming along nicely. That's very cool that your swimming has improved so much! And I laughed about losing your umph going downhill on the bike without all that weight to pull you down faster! I guess it's just the price you will willingly pay!
Keep up the good work... And we'll be glad to see more of you once things settle down for you again!

applebottomblues said...

Oh shelly.. you sound like you're really enjoying life right now and I'm so happy that you're doing what you love better than you did it last year. I'll be looking out for you when things cool down for ya.

Ed & Jennifer said...

Just checkin' up on you! When is your Danskin race?

Stay cool in this steamy hot weather!